Here are my reviews of the seven videos called "Introduction to Ancient Hebrew" by Jeff Benner of the Ancient Hebrew Research Center posted on YouTube. These videos are each under 10 minutes (58 min in total) and constitute his DVD called "An Introduction to Ancient Hebrew". There is also an MP3 version of the audio of this DVD. According to Benner these videos show, "[t]he various aspects of the Ancient Hebrew language including; the relationship between the Hebrew words of the Bible and the Ancient Hebrew culture; the differences between Greek and Hebrew concepts such as time and space; the meaning of the letters in the ancient pictographic Hebrew script; and the root system of the Ancient Hebrew language.". The AHRC do other audio and video teachings.
Part 1 of 7 ✮✮✮✩✩
Description of Part 1 of 7 According to Ancient Hebrew Research Center
(8:44) Proper Biblical Interpretation through the study of the Ancient Hebrew alphabet, language, culture and the Bible. This video discusses the relationship between the Hebrew words of the Bible and the Ancient Hebrew culture.
Review of Part 1 of 7 by J E Marchant
I passionately agree with everything Benner says except -
1) The ostraca at the start was found in the Temple of IEUE, NOT the Temple of Yahweh.
2) The script on the ostraca is Paleo Hebrew not Ancient Hebrew, just to clarify. There is a difference between Paleo and Ancient Hebrew. Ancient Hebrew is older.
3) Our English-Greco-Roman-Western way of thinking is not all bad. Yes our words are not pictographic, but our culture today still has many traces of our Ancient Hebrew heritage. In fact we can learn a lot from our modern Western languages when it comes to understanding our roots, especially when we are trying to figure out how Ancient Hebrew was spoken. The English (Roman) alphabet is the closest alphabet today that resembles the Ancient Hebrew alphabet, much moreso than the modern Jewish alphabet (that Benner calls Aramaic). Also Greek alphabets closely resemble the Ancient Hebrew Alphabet.
4) The ancient Hebrew pronunciation of the word father is AB, NOT ARV.
5) “ARBA” (English transcription (sound match) of how modern Jewish Hebrew speakers say the word ABBA) is a modern Jewish Hebrew version of the ancient Syriac Aramaic word “ABA”. ARBA is not just an "Aramaic" word borrowed by Hebrew though. There is more to the word Aramaic than most realise. The word Aramaic means anything that came out of the land of Aram (BaBaLon). This means the modern Jewish Hebrew language is Aramaic to a large extent. The modern Jewish Hebrew language has an Aramaic alphabet (Benner declared himself that the modern Jewish square script as “Aramaic” later on in this video) and Aramaic pronunciation. The Massoritic scribes were based in BaBaLon, not just IRUSHaLIM (Jerusalem) and Tiberias, and they changed the ancient Hebrew sounds attached to their (already) Aramaic letters. The only thing “Hebrew” about Modern Hebrew is the letter order in words. Even still, some of the modern Jewish Hebrew words have been doctored and do not retain the same letters as the words did in Ancient Hebrew words. For example, the names of ISHaRaALites with the tetragrammaton in their names as prefixes and suffixes. This goes to prove the reason for the planned mutilation of the Ancient Hebrew alphabet via Paleo Hebrew into the family of Aramaic alphabets - for the ultimate goal of bringing IEUE's name to naught. So the Modern Jewish Hebrew alphabet and pronunciation is JUST AS Aramaic as Modern and ancient Syriac Aramaic.
ARBA is commonly written in English as ABBA, but the way both English and modern Jewish Hebrew speakers say this word is the same – ARBA. The common English pronunciation comes from the modern Jewish Hebrew pronunciation. ARBA is a modern Jewish Hebrew pronunciation of an ancient Syriac Aramaic word. The ancient Syriac Aramaic word was said as “ABA” ("ab-ah"). The “AR” (or long "AA") part of “ARBA” came from vowel pointings of the Massorites, and corruption of the pronunciation of the Jewish Hebrew language about 1500-2000 years ago. However the Ancient Syriac Aramaic word ABA was derived from the Ancient Hebrew word “AB” – Benner seems to understand this link even though his pronunciation is off.
6) The Name of the MaSHICH is IEUESHUO, not Yeshua.
7) The script Benner refers to as “Modern Hebrew” is better described as Modern Jewish Hebrew or Modern Jewish Aramaic. He does say that the origin of this script is Aramaic later though.
8) Benner says “When Israel was taken into BaBaLonian captivity they adopted the Aramaic Square Script”. This is not specific enough in two ways, and misleading in one way.
Firstly it is not specific in that, it was the Southern House lead by the tribe of IEUEDE (Judah) that used the earliest Aramaic alphabet, not just “Israel”.
Secondly the alphabet that the Jews first used in BaBaLon (after Paleo Hebrew -which they took with them) was called the Elephantine Aramaic script. Elephantine Aramaic did not look the same as today’s modern Jewish Hebrew square script. Between Elephantine Aramaic and modern Jewish Hebrew square script there was the Nabataean Aramaic alphabet, the Palmyrenean Aramaic alphabet and the Qumran Hebrew alphabet (in that order). Benner calls the Elephantine Aramaic alphabet the “Late Hebrew” alphabet on his website so he ought to know these specifics, perhaps he did not have time to indulge here.
Finally, it is debatable whether the IEUEDIM (Jews) actually adopted the Elephantine Aramaic script or helped invent it. The idea that it was easier to write with is doubtful the main reason why it was used. The ease of uses idea was/is very likely to be just a lame excuse for the perversion that the scripture says the scribes of IEUEDE have done to IEUE’s set-apart (ancient Hebrew) pictographic alphabet.
Jer 8:8 “How do you say, ‘We are wise, and the TUREh of יהוה is with us’? But look, the false pen of the scribe has worked falsehood.
Jer 23:26 Till when is it in the heart of the prophets? The prophets of falsehood, Yea, prophets of the deceit of their heart, Jer 23:27 Who are devising to cause My people To forget My name by their dreams, That they recount each to his neighbor, As their fathers forgot my name for Baal.
9) The word FATHER DOES have Hebrew roots. It is likely that this word came out of the Greek word PATER, but the word FATHER is also likely to have been influenced by Massoritic “Hebrew” over the last 500 years.
Greek is a language that is spoken by the descendants of ISHaRaAL (Hebrews). Also over 90% of English words have an ancient Hebrew origin. The letter “A” in FATHER is very likely from from the “A” in AB. The “TH” in the word FATHER may be derived from “B” in AB via the Massoritic (modern Jewish Hebrew) sound for the ancient Hebrew letter named BaT, which is “V”.
10) The square script modern Jewish Hebrew letters for AB (and in general) ARE Hebrew in the sense that the people who invented them/used them in BaBaLon were Hebrews, and that these letters can be mapped back into Ancient Hebrew letters using branches of the Hebrew (derived alphabets) alphabet family tree.
[Commentaries of the other six videos are to come]
Article Still in Progress | Last Updated Sep 6, 2010.
Comments are closed for this article